Superfoods for the Summer
If you are looking to kick-start a healthy regime for that extra glow this Summer, you could perhaps find certain superfoods that are in tune with your palate.
The term “superfood” is used a lot, especially as a marketing term for food that are nutrient dense, and it could be a difficult task to differentiate hype with spot on science.
Below are our suggestions on superfoods with proven health benefits for most of us under a budget, as not everyone could afford Chaga mushrooms.
- If you would like to enhance your meal with a boost of vitamin E, we highly recommend switching to cold-press avocado oil, as this fat-soluble vitamin is known for improving skin and eye health, plus increasing the overall efficiency of the digestive tract.
- Baobab is a great alternative to Acai due to its versatility with both sweet and savoury dishes throughout the day. This fruit is rich in potassium, magnesium and calcium, perfect for all you active folks that need to replenish the electrolytes lost during a workout.
- Not all superfoods are exotic, and under the ‘nut’ family pecans have the highest antioxidant value above walnuts. A handful a day could just lower your “bad” cholesterol levels.
- Hailing from the Peruvian Andes mountains, purple corn has been used for thousands of years by the indigenous peoples of this region. It’s still widely grown in the area today, with purple corn juice and flour for bread being grocer staples throughout South America.
Characterised in this deep shade of purple is indicative of the kind of antioxidants it contains – anthocyanins. These powerful compounds could help combat obesity and diabetes.
- “Wherever inflammation is a problem, curcumin may be helpful”, and that’s why turmeric is one of, if not the most, studied superfood. Once you are used to its gingery pungent and slight bitter flavour when consumed in powder form, then you are ready to reap the benefits, especially if you have symptoms of heart disease, cancer and osteoarthritis.
When it comes to beauty, it has been praised by South East Asians for thousands of years, specifically India and Indonesia. Until today, beauty bloggers of our social-frenzy generation are convinced on the super healing powers.
There are many things in life that you have no control of, and maintaining a balanced diet is something that is within your grasp. This is a kind reminder that a healthy outside starts from the inside.